Sunday, May 27, 2007

Where did you come from, broccoli?

Where did you come from, broccoli? Where you grown in California? Or Mexico? Or here in New York? How did you get to the green grocer where I bought you? Did you travel across the country in a truck? Packed in ice? Your sign said simply " Broccoli $1.29 ea." You seem very hardy and fresh. Was anything washed away when I ran you under cold water? Was there bacteria or pesticide residues on you? I'm sure your shape makes it impossible to clean you thoroughly. I don't see any little insects hiding among your florets. If there are chemicals, I wouldn't be able to see them.

I've never had a broccoli plant of my own. Did you grow alone on a plant, or did you have siblings? Once you were cut off, did another one grow in your place? There's so much I don't know about you, broccoli.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only broccoli could talk... I wish it could have talked when I ate some that had tiny bugs nesting in it. But I guess in a way that means it did talk... it told me that it was organic by sheltering insects that would have been driven out by pesticides. And it also told me to start washing my vegetables more carefully. Who says broccoli doesn't talk?

serenity said...

broccoli must be lucky, i saw homeless guy sitting near the grocery store... looking with sad eyes, wishing to be a broccoli in somebody's questions...
washed up, cleaned up, rised up with calm water... maybe stay in it for a while...
asked "where you come from?" or "where did you grow up?"
wants to be part of warm plate with his friends...