Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Recycling CFL Bulbs Just Got Easier

On May 8th, The Future Earth wrote about compact fluorescent bulbs and the difficulty in finding a place to recycle them.

Today, The New York Times reports that Home Depot will begin accepting the bulbs for recycling. The article is unclear when this program will begin, so I assume it begins immediately. Ron Jarvis, Home Depot’s senior vice president for environmental innovation, reports that 75% of the nation's homes are within 10 miles of a Home Depot. I already have a bulb to recycle. Home Depot, here I come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really good news. I admit to some surprise at Home Depot initiating this effort; but they deserve applause for it.

Of course, the other side of this is consumer education. I wonder how many of the new converts to CFL's understand that there is a need to properly dispose of them.